Learning is what people do when they want to make sense of the world – it inspires creativity and supports everyday life. Museums, libraries and archives in the West Midlands provide a wide range of learning opportunities where people may develop or deepen their skills, their knowledge, understanding, awareness, values, ideas or feelings, or increase their capacity to reflect. MLA West Midlands supports and champions the work in of the sector in both formal and informal learning.
- Adopt and support the Inspiring Learning for All framework which recognises the impact of museum, library and archive experiences upon personal learning and provides a toolkit to improve provision
- Manage Lit-Net – a website of events and news for readers, publishers, book shops and libraries
- Work with the museums Hub to deliver their Education Programme Delivery Plan
- Raise the profile of the sector’s work in raising basic skills, particularly with Learning and Skills Councils and Advantage West Midlands (AWM)
- Contribute to the development of standard ‘learning impact’ measures
- Gather and disseminate data on the learning impact of programmes sponsored or managed by us
- Develop and support a network of champions for learning in museums, libraries and archives