- 14 local authorities run 307 static libraries and 51 mobile libraries. They employ c4,000 staff and receive around 32 million visits per year.
- Higher Education provides around 40 libraries to over 160,000 students with around 13 million visits per year. Further Education more than 50 libraries, and schools around 2,400.
- There are many other library and information services in the health, business and private sectors.
- There are 307 static libraries and 51 mobile libraries in West Midlands. They employ over 4,000 staff.
Libraries have visits from 58004 per 1000 of the population and over 50% of people have a library ticket.
- Public libraries receive 32 million visits per year.
HE libraries receive 13 million visits per year.
- There are152 special collections within libraries.
- There are currently 2,808 computer terminals in public libraries due to the People’s Network.
MLA West Midlands engages with and supports (policy) forums for each of the domains. The Libraries Forum’s purpose and role are summed up in two downloadable PDF files…
West Midlands Libraries Forum 2006-7 and
“Libraries are all over the place” (the role of the WM Libraries Forum)
Lyons Inquiry Final Report and Recommendations
Sir Michael Lyon's summar report on the future role, function and funding of local government is attached.