- Of 205 Museums, 74 are run by local authorities and 143 are Registered within the national standards scheme. There is one mobile museum.
- 6 museum services are responsible for 21 outstanding Designated Collections
- Museums hold 287 special collections.
- There are 5,571,723 objects within museum collections and an additional 1,468,102 archive objects within museums(grand total of 7,039,825).
- The West Midlands museum Hub is led by Birmingham and also comprises Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Ironbridge and Coventry.
- Registered museums employ c2,500 staff and have the support of c3,500 volunteers.
- In 2003 museums in the West Midlands attracted 5.6 million visits.
Advice and Support for Museums
Understanding the Future - Response to the West Midlands Museum Policy Forum
In January 2007, the West Midlands Policy Forum (WMMPF) hosted a consultative event to discuss and respond to the DCMS document Understanding the Future – Priorities for England’s Museums.